They're splendid, really - think Beinn, in the original Gaelic. We've been here before. Reaching the summit again, though it is only 1,000ft or so, had been the next goal set on the long recovery road; now four months since that arthritis attack. It's been a long, slow and painful road, but finally there is progress.
I look down at the various coastal villages. The arches of Cullen's viaducts remind me of further progress just the previous day. I had cycled across the viaducts, adding a final few miles to a ride of a dozen or so. Nothing remarkable about that, other than it being the first time since March that my knee had allowed the pedals to turn, the joy of a bike ride. We are making progress.
Later I'd walked through one of those arches, taken the riverside walk in the hope of a glimpse of the white-dickied dipper. The walk was promising, the dipper elusive.
I gaze further afield, to Spey Bay, a regular bike ride away (pre arthritis), where the osprey fishes, the swans gather, and the otter teases. Ben Rinnes is a big lump, nestling in deep range, shades of grey above the treeline. To the south two of Bennachie's triple peaks nudge their way aside the much closer Knock Hill. And there's Bow Fiddle Rock guarding the bay.
From my new vantage point I plot a possible cycle route, over that same viaduct then a short run on the road before heading through the arch and along that same riverside path. I should be able to find a way back to base, traffic free, through Robber's Wood and on to Bauds Wood, back on to familiar tracks. That'll add another interesting ride to the regular repertoire, though it will mean a short spell on the A98 (slightly less fearsome than the A71). Perhaps once I've burned off those four months of enforced idleness I may even have knees strong enough to take The Grasshopper along that route.
For now though it'll be battery assist, though even with that the much loved Maud Meander will have to wait a while yet.
My path through the woods to the summit of the Bin, and the rare but welcome sight of benches and a picnic table, was also with some assistance. The old knee still needs some protection. Again though there are signs of progress. Dispensing with a pair of walking poles, essential just a few weeks ago, it is a cane that offers support.
I'm beginning to have a bit of a theme working on me - Riding with Grasshoppers; Walking with Otters - both ripe for development. I'll be sure to keep you posted. Onwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment